sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 pt cruiser and it won't go into park. It just

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2006 pt cruiser and it won't go into park.
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just happened 2hrs ago and it's 1:58am here.. If I can fix it myself then I will. I'm just trying to see my options
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that all
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the trans won't go into park it could be an internal trans issue but that is unlikely. The problem may be with the shift cable, the shifter, or there could be something physically blocking movement at either end.

Does the shifter move with no resistance as if not connected?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
before the shifter was a little bit hard to move but now it's like super easy.. Also everything for the shift gear is selected on the dashboard when I turn the car on

The shift cable has either broken or come off at one end or the other then. What you'll need to do is check to see if it's still attached at the trans. If so then you'd next need to check at the shifter. If it's attached at both ends then the cable has broken.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I will definitely take a look and let you know what's going on

You're welcome and let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
update I had a mechanic replace the shifter cables the car comes on now. There was a problem with the alignments so he realigned them but now to put it park into park it won't go.. If I do drive when I park I have to make sure the emergency brake is up. Any other suggestions

Will it shift into park by hand at the trans with the cable removed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When he first started He had to go in the trans to put it into the different gears in order for the car to turn on. The other option so far is putting the car into neutral with the emergency brake.

At this time will it shift into park by hand at the trans with the cable removed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. I wasn't there for magority of the actual work. I have the replaced cable on right now. I drove it home only to put it in neutral with the emergency brake up since currently that's the only way to ensure it's parked safe

If you remove the cable from the transmission can you shift the transmission into park by hand?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ahh I see! Im not quite sure if he did do it

If it's something you're wanting to try to repair yourself then this is the next step. This will tell if the problem is in the transmission or if it's a cable adjustment problem.