sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2005 2.4L turbo, Rag Top with Touring package,

Customer Question

I have a 2005 2.4L turbo, Rag Top with Touring package, 19.4k miles; love it. Purchased about 6 years ago from an estate @ 5.8k miles. Knew the deceased and believe the miles were true. Shortly after purchase Instument Cluster shut down, gauges to zero, engine light on, the whole ten yards. Happened several times on/off on a Sunday. Took it to a Chrysler Dealer we have done business with for many yrs. They worked on it for several hrs and found nothing wrong. Said id may have been a fluke and may never happen again. Well it didn't for almost 6 years and then started to happen big time about 2 months ago. As you can see we don't drive the car much, just short trips on a regular basis. Car has been serviced on a regular basis by dealer, new tires, battery, etc. due to age. Have cleaned contacts and checked voltages on the C1 and C2 connectors to the the Cluster and everything seems ok. Did find possibly a loose plug to the RKE and snapped together. Now when it fails the Cluster goes completly dead rather than rather than have the gauges bounce around and the lights flash before it dies. It will go dead with the car sitting, ignition off or being driven for 10 miles or so. If I pull the IOD fuse and put back in, everything gets reset and and we start all over again. Any ideas would be appreciated, it is driving me nuts.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: The entire Cluster goes dead, no lights or gauges.
JA: What year is your Touring?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: You may have not received my original message. I think it should have covered your questions. I can send again if you need it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this point.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem is either an internal failure of the instrument cluster or a loss of power or ground to it. If you've found the powers and grounds are present at the time the cluster does not work then it can be condemned.

When you found power and ground were present was that at the time the cluster was inoperative?