Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Last month i asked you a question about my wifes pt cruise

Customer Question

Hi dan last month i asked you a question about my wifes pt cruise turbo (actually a 05 instead of 03) All was going good untill last night as she was pulling into the driveway her engine light started flashing again and it idled rough for about 2 min then died. This morn i did the key thingy and i got codes p0508,0032,and 0038. It started and idled fine this morning, let it run for about 5 min. Looking up codes online leads to o2 sensors. Help. Would that be a good place to start?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

It looks like the expert you have requested is off line.

Is that OK if I help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. I will be glad to help.

Has anything been replaced for these codes up to this point?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

The P0508 code is for the IAC valve located on the side of the throttle body. As long as the wiring is good going to it and there are no air or vacuum leaks, the idle air valve is bad and will need to be replaced.

The P0032 is for the oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1. Same thing here, if the wiring is good up to the sensor, replace the sensor.

The P0038 is for the oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2 . Same rule applies here as well.

Since you have codes for both oxygen sensors, I would check for power going to each sensor with the engine running as this could be a blown fuse or a wiring issue going to the sensors.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a procedure for checking these
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

I just pulled a wiring diagram for your oxygen sensors. The computer supplies the voltage to the oxygen sensor heaters and there is no fuse. The procedure would be to check for voltage to each sensor using a test light or a voltmeter. At least one wire going to each sensor should have voltage going to it when the engine is first started. It will remain powered up until the oxygen sensor and exhaust system gets nice and hot.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one wire to frame should have voltage? How much 12 volts? And i guess unplug it to check or do i skin wire back a bit?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

You could unplug it to check for voltage. YES, it will be battery voltage.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is oxygen sensors hard to replace ,sugestions to make changing them easy,things to be careful of,any sugestions on procedure if they do need replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

They are not hard to replace. Just unclip the connector and unscrew it and install the new one. If its hard coming out, then you may have to heat up around the threads and that will help it uncrew nice and smooth.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ill try to be able to check that this eavening and see what i get. Could it be a voltage less than 12v and if so what would be considered a good range for voltage?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Anything close to battery voltage is OK. Plus or minus 1.0 volt or so. Anything more, then I would do some further digging.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can vehicle still be driven untill sensors are replaced if that is the faulty part?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

YES it can still be driven.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Ill try to measure voltage this eavening and get back to you with results
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks so far
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey i finally had a chance to do something. I wentt ahead and changed the oxygen sensors and after i did i am still getting a check engine light and a oo38 code. What next?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Check the wiring to the oxygen sensors

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I looked thrm over as i was changing the sensors and i didnt see any bad spots. I didnt open up any wire harnesses
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ill try looking them over again
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still waiting on the iac valve to come in.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Ok, sounds good no problem. Thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What pins would have 12v on them for the voltage check. It is a 4 wire for the sensor
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Are you talking about the oxygen sensors?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you told me the other day to check for voltage
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

May I get your VIN?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ill have to get it later for you
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

OK