Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

The gas guage, it will be fine, gets to about half a tank,

Customer Question

The gas guage, it will be fine, gets to about half a tank, and then it will drop to empty. It will go from the computer saying 200 miles to empty, then quickly to 10 miles to empty. Once you shut it off, it will be OK upon starting.......for a while.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts fine. No issue. Yeah, hard on gas. And when you try to gas it up, it will take four or five bucks then kick off. You've got to pump it real slow to get it to take.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Chrysler?
Customer: 05. It's a great, great car. Comfortable, reliable, 131K on it. But, this is a PITA.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'll fix it. We race Hemi Dodge race cars and build a lot of drag cars. If it's something I can fix, I will. But, this new fangled stuff is something I don't know much about. I'm an old guy.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, someone said it was some kind of Evap sensor, if that makes sense, but I'd sure like to get this fixed.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 13 days ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

what is the year make and model of your car/truck?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
2005 Chrysler Pacifica. It's loaded.

and the fuel gauge is the only problem?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, that's OK. Don't need a live call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
3.5 V6, all the goodies. Nice car....great car....but this is driving my wife nuts.....she drives it all the time. Has even run it out of gas once or twice.

ok,,from the way you explain the problem it sounds as if you may have a bad fuellevel sensor

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The guage, and the fact that it fills up hard. It will take 4 or 5 bucks, then kick off. Then, you've got to pump it real, real slow, or it will kick off.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You are never sure how much gas is in it.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Someone said a sensor.....I think I heard an Evap sensor? Tough fix? Do I have to drop the tank?

yes it is on the fuel pump module..stand by i will give you instructions

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are those sensors readily available? The fuel level sensor?

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks, Tim.

you are very welcome