FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech

Check engine light gascap, stays on, 2007 chrysler pacifica

Customer Question

check engine light gascap
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2007 chrysler pacifica touring
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had the codes checked several months ago. all we tried never provided a fix. cleared codes and the next time the check engine light cam on I? started to get gascap word. Haven't tried to fix in a long time. Nowe I
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: want to take it seriously and fix it. The car recently sat for + two nweeks. Not started, not operated. When I came home I had trouble with keeping the engine running. It would sahut off on its own or was difficult to start. Had to hold the key in on position and force all injectors/cylinders to fire before I would let go of the key. That issue has cleared after the first 1 hour of operation. Now I am wondering if it is possible I have a leak somewhere in the pressurized fuel system. That may have caused the fuel to dry up over the +2 weeks. That is my speculation. If there is a leak in the fuel system (tank, pump, lines, injectors) perhaps that is the issue I am dealing with. Could it be a bad injec tor? Could it be a loose connection in the fuel pump connectors of the lines feeding the injectors?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** what you are telling me it can indeed be a fuel system issue. If the fuel pressure is not holding when the vehicle is turned off then this will occur. Most of the time it is the fuel pump, but it can also be a regulator or injector. I usually install a pressure tester and see if the fuel pressure holds or not. If it drops off over time then there is a problem. If not then it can have an issue with the shut down relay, ignition switch or possibly the crank position sensor. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I take this info to my mechanic and explain the entire issue and your response OR (Where would I find) a pressure tester to see if the pressure drops off and follow up with my mechanic from there. I almost want to say that I had a fuel pumped replaced and then not long after I had check engine light issues. Not trying to force an answer, just wondering if all of this history is related?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 14 days ago.

It is possible. If you had the pump replaced it could definitely be defective. If you wanted to do this yourself you would need to get a fuel pressure tester and then make sure it has the right adapters to install it onto the fuel rail of the vehicle.