bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Speedometer and odometer quit working and a few minutes

Customer Question

speedometer and odometer quit working and a few minutes laterthe malfunction indicator light came on
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: what type of service center should I take it to
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2006 PT cruiser
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Made sure battery connection was secure and it was. The battery is new. I'm a sassy old lady and I think this is a little beyond my expertise
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 month ago.

you should verify the fault code that is stored, you can have the codes pulled at a place like autozone or advance auto parts USUALLY for free, BUT from the description only it sounds like a sensor USUALLY the output sensor on the transmission has failed, the output speed sensor also send the vehicle speed to the instrument cluster so if this sensor fails the speedometer also will not operate

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need if you have further questions pleas ASK, i am here to help as well as I can