Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

Second opinion] - While driving down the road last week the

Customer Question

Second opinion] - While driving down the road last week the van just shuts down. Now, when you turn the key you have to 'flick" the key multiple times to get it to crank. Once it finally cranks it wont start. But the van starts right up and runs when the code scanner is on it. That is the only way it runs. You unplug code scanner the vehicle shuts down instantly
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
2000 town and Country van. 3.8 motor
The Chrysler van will not start unless the code scanner is attached. Why does the van start immediately with the scanner, Does anybody know what the cause is. The van does an automatic shut drown the moment the tester is taken off.It acts like a fuse problem. what does the scanner bypass that enables the van to run. Relays,cam and crank sensor, the coil pack, and ignition switch have all been changed. All of the fuses have been checked. The fuses test good. I get juice on both side of the fuses. Last night after I changed the ignition switch the alarm came on when I opened the alarm would not shut off, I had to unhook the van.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 21 days ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

is the anti-theft light off now?

without the you have a spark on the plug wires?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
because the engine is not on. The light only goes off when the van is running. It won't turn over. If you keep trying to start it the starter will kick for a second. You have to keep flicking the key it tries to get the starter going. I can't get a spark because the motor doesn't turn. The motor is not locked up and the starter is not engaged so I can't determine if there is a spark. The van starts right up with the code scanner attached. The moment the scanner is off the van stops running

does the starter click each time you try to star?

are you sure the battery isnt dead?