Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

We just changed the alt and the battery in our 2012 T&C and

Customer Question

We just changed the alt and the battery in our 2012 T&C and I woke up to a dead van this morning still
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yesterday.
JA: What is the model of your '12 Chrysler?
Customer: Town and Country
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband. He changed the Alternator Saturday and battery yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 20 days ago.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.