sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

05 PT Cruiser, non turbo, stalled while driving around 35

Customer Question

05 PT Cruiser, non turbo, stalled while driving around 35 MPH. No sign of any trouble beforehand. Wnt to restart and nothing. Car would not crank over. New battery (two weeks old) While waiting for tow truck tried to get codes turning key on and off (have done this many times, own two Chryler ars) Nothing, no code. All accessories work. Windows, radio, fan, wipers etc. Get towed home and try to get a code with reader. Will not recoginze it, nothing, blank screen. Told to disconnect neg battery term and try to "reset" Nothing.
JA: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?
Customer: Radio code? What fo
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced timing belts, heads and motor mounts on my two chrysler cars. I have a basic knowledge of simple mechanics. This has me stumped. Stalled while driving and will not turn over. Checked fuses and switched around relays. new battery with full charge. Why can I not get any codes? Is this a PCM problem? Bad harness? any suggestions
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I've typed enough
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine died and now will not crank and a code reader doesn't communicate with the PCM then the PCM is down. The problem may be internal PCM failure or it may be missing a power or ground. If fuses are good then the next step would be to test the PCM power and ground feeds and if they are ok then the PCM can be condemned. If there are no other issues and fuses are good then odds are the PCM is going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for response. Due to getting ready for hurricane Matthew the car was put aside this week. I live in Florida
Your analysis makes the most sense. Today I will check power to the pcm, etc.
I've had issues with my fan as well and have replaced ALL parts connected (fan, relays, wire harness, temp sensor, etc) and read that the pcm could also cause problems with this. Result is Ac not blowing cool while at idle, freon not cooled etc. car runs fine without ac in. Not good in Florida.
Thanks again for honest opinion.
You wouldn't believe the responses I received from other "experts"
They do not know how to read.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 16 days ago.

Let me know if you need any more help!