Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 and the fuel cap light has turned

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 and the fuel cap light has turned on I've checked it up and is closing perfectly, so how I can turn off the light on my dash
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no is a 200
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer ans allowing me to assist you. If the gas cap light is on and the cap is tight / was replaced, you probably have a leak somewhere else on the "EVAP" system. In short this is the system that monitors whether your fuel system is leaking fumes or not (environmental concern). The usual cause for "leaking fumes" is a gas cap that does not seal properly, but your leak may be elsewhere. Piping for this system runs from your gas tank, to your filler neck, all the way to the engine compartment of the car (to a purge tank and solenoid). This system also has piping that lets your engine burn these fumes at regular intervals. Most automobile service garages have equipment to check for leaks in this system. It might be wise to have a shop do a scan of the EVAP system . Hope this helps you find your problem and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
ok noted thanks
I'm going to check it again and I put something to hydrate the rubber o ring before to close again the fuel cap...I'll be back soon
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I've lubricated the fuel cap but the dash light is still there, do
you know which fuse number is ***** one relative to that circuit?
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 25 days ago.

as stated in the noted it could be in the EVAP system loosing pressure needs to be checked on a scanner to confirm that

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Is this a serious problem?, can this damage any system?
..the engine and the car in general, is running perfectly

no not at all it's just to recirculate gas fumes . The only thing about it is it won't pass an emission test until it is fixed. The light comes on because it is reading an incorrect pressure in that system possibly a leak. I can't say how much to fix it without diagnosing and finding exactly what part it requires. Hope this gives you an idea to make your decisions. here is a pic of an EVAP system

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I know what can be happened, last time fueling I charged with more than enough due the nozzle doesn't stop and it was a fuel leak, so the filling level was overloaded, sealing the way that it makes breath...
It helps to leave the fuel cap open at night for example?

yes over filling can do that but you don't need to leave it open because it will do a self check a well. Hope this helps and if you rewire further assistance I'll be happy to do so.