Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles .

I was changing fuses because headlamps and cigar lighters

Customer Question

i was changing fuses because headlamps and cigar lighters were not working and was told to disconnect the negative before changing fuses. when i reconnected the car wont start and is saying that it has a malfunction and that the car is not in park. lights and everything comes on just no turn over at all. also it will not turn off. i had to disconnect negative again to save battery
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes trunk and under hood
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2012 chrysler 300
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i was only changing fuses. nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried to put the car in park but a message occurs saying that i should make sure to not turn off because it may not operate again..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I wasnt in the car when i changed fuses and car was not on, so how could it not be in park?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 22 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

we need a factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve fault codes

But Try this below procedure for now ,

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if cables dont reach

2- Hold cables Together for 20 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 15 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician