Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 3rd a/c compressor seized up. Mechanic has replaced it 3

Customer Question

My 3rd a/c compressor seized up. Mechanic has replaced it 3 times. Each time lasting less than 200 miles. He has not charged me, said they were brand new but faulty. I hate to tell him the third one is now gone. What can I suggest he look for as a reason?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 1997 T&C dual zone front & rear a/c
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: yes, the clutch burns up. Smoke and all.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have a professional. He said the control may be bad, so we put in a whole new unit on the dash also.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I asked my mechanic if he was putting enough oil in the compressor. Does the dryer have to be changed each time the system is opened? Is there a a/c refrigerant filter?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, when you say seized up do you mean the the pulley wont turn or the clutch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the clutch, pulley turns

is he pulling vacuum on the system each time he replaces the compressor??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

has he checked the wiring for the clutch coil connector?

has he checked for a short to ground or excessive resistance on the power wire to the connecotr?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would think so, but don't know for sure

thinking is not knowing. i need to know. there is no way you have 3 bad compressors. its a wiring issue

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He must have checked the wiring because he told me the control on the dash needed to be replaced,

he replaced the control unit because he is throwing different parts at the vehicle until something fixes it.

problem is with a wiring issue you can replace every part in the system and its still not going to be fixed

i'll pull up a print for you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
cant talk right now, maybe later or tomorrow. Could the control on the dash be causing it?

no the control unit will not cause it.

what engine is in that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
using my phone for internet, and cant talk at the same time. I'm not the only one, so need to stay online.

i didnt offer the call. the site does that automatically..sorry

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
3.8
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you still there?

yes i am looking up some info

have him check the from the compressor clutch relay to the compressor clutch connector for continuity and shorts to ground.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, thanks. I have to go, late for a meeting.

keep me posted

Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

You do not have a wiring or electrical issue so don't waste your time testing what the previous expert requested.. The problem lies in the reason the compressor keeps failing and that is debri in the a/c system. Anytime you have a compressor failure that the clutch seizes up you are required to flush the entire system, condenser, evaporator, lines, and replace the dryer and orface tube/expansion valve. You didn't mention that this has been done and if not then I would not allow the so called mechanic to repair your vehicle anymore. At this point you will need to tear the system down and flush it good and the components that will not flush out will need to be replaced. The a/c system will then need to be vacuum down for 10 min to remove any moisture and charged. Failure to do this will result in another compressor failure...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

if the wiring wasnt checked it could absolutely cause this problem

have the mechanic test the wiring point to point and point to ground. make sure there is continuity and no high resistance shorts to ground.

Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Have a great day,

Brad