Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Bill, I have a 2006 PT Cruiser turbo The light for PCM came

Customer Question

Bill,
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser turbo
The light for PCM came on and stays on steadily. I use good gas and checked that the gas cap was in place. I went to the dealer
for the 30,000 service and to find out why the light is staying on.
They said I need to replace the PCM and they would need to find a place that has rebuilt computers for my car , that new parts are not available. They also said it would take several days to do the PCM rebuild, and they would need time to find a rebuilt PCM.
The dealer did an oil change, spark plug change , replaced upper and lower motor mounts.
Are new parts not available for my car ? Are rebuilds reliable and safe since they said the PCM is what makes my car run ?
The code they referred to is po882 power input low.Tech found the cpm to be damaged.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

1. Are new parts not available for my car ? Correct some parts new or factory refurbished are discontinued.
  2. Are rebuilds reliable and safe since they said the PCM is what makes my car run ? If you had this failure in 2007 you would of gotten a refurbished PCM then. You would only get a new PCM if the car was under 12,000 miles. Many parts replaced on vehicles are not new parts. Yes the PCM is the vehicles main computer.
  3. The code they referred to is po882 power input low.Tech found the cpm to be damaged. As long as they did all the diagnostic steps for this code, then it is an accurate diagnosis and repair needed. Other possible causes are the TIPM and wiring, So if diagnosed incorrect then the PCM would not resolve this.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris