rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2004 Chrysler Pacifica. I am getting a crank but no spark.

Customer Question

2004 Chrysler Pacifica. I am getting a crank but no spark. The vehicle ran prior to being parked for about a year. After the year it would crank but there is no spark. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced and is working. The coils have been replaced with new spark plugs. The ECM was sent into a shop ans tested. The shop said it was working properly. I'm not sure what else to check. Any Ideas.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

It all starts with the ignition switch. If all those components you mentioned are indeed good, then it has to be the ignition switch NOT supplying power to the modules or coil.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

You can also check the ASD relay under the hood in the relay box. They are all marked.

The security system can also cause this.

I attached a doc for you to reset it.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need ma again later on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ignition is giving power to the components and the coils. I tested the core at the coil and have 12v when the ignition is being turned. I have checked the asd relay and fuse and they are both good. I also checked the camshaft position sensor and it is working as well. I reset the security system and still no spark I am getting fuel and compression.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Well, we're missing something. All that can't be functional and still have no spark.

The last thing i would check is to see that the CRANK sensor is indeed getting a signal from the tone ring/wheel.

I attached how it will look with the cam sensor. You will get this signal even just cranking it, it doesn't have to run.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I connected a scan tool and used the diagnostic setting and it is registering the rpm when the engine is cranking. When I tested the cam sensor I back probed it and was getting voltage when it cranked.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

BAD test, you have to see the signal with a scope like I sent to you

Thanks again. If you have no more questions, please remember to rate me 5 stars for my time:)

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Ron