kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Should a steering column last the life of the car?

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

I hate to say it but no. Many times the column will have problems long before the car is ready to die. What kind of problem are you having?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2015 car - steering column broke - you could move it in and out - this happened at a low speed (from a stop) crunching noises and then completely broken? could this happen again with replacement ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mechanic at dealer said only seen it one other time in 20 years
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you can call me if easier for you(###) ###-####Would you let your child behind the wheel of this car after it was repaired? Or would you trade it in? or ask it to be bought back?

Now that is a tough one. Can you send me a pic of the column so I can see what has happened?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not until Monday - Dealer was told not to repair until someone else looked at it; however, did it anyhow - they did keep the part for me - I can go take a photo if that would help?

Now for the hard part. Did they use a used column, repair the old one, or did the install a new column? How much are they asking you to pay?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's under warranty, - I am concerned about it happening again - Doesn't the front end affect the steering? My son is afraid to drive it again - apparently very scary when happened and lost all control - luckily no accident - very concerned about taking another chance - read somewhere that it can happen again if it is the car causing it. True or false?

Most often the column will break if some one is using the column to pull them self out of the car. There really is no way for the car itself to cause the column to break, not even the suspension.

For me to know what to tell you as far as what may have caused this problem, I really need to see the bad parts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thank you. Can I still send photo Monday. Or is that too late?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see I was already charged before rating you You never answered if it could happen again? And would you put your only son back behind the wheel of a car that did this?

You paid a deposit, I only get paid if you accept my answer. As for what I would do, I have to see the bad parts to be able to know what I would do. I have no problem waiting till monday to be able to see the bad parts. This way I can tell you what I would or would not do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They already charged the additional. Are you an employee of Chrysler?

NO. I have my own shop and work on all makes and models. I also specialize in columns, transmissions, and rotary engines.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok lol just asking. I'll upload photo Monday if ok and then call you. I appreciate your time. Have a great night ��

Chat with you monday.

Have you found out anything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the part. You can push the top in and out easily. Some rust/corrosion on hinge area/arm

Can you send me a pic of the pieces?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just sent video It said too large
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have number I can text it to you? Won't upload here
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's my number to text me if you can

Sorry for the delay my internet has been on the fritz all day. can you send me a pic that will show what is broken? Is the u joint bad?