Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring that is throwing codes P0700,

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring that is throwing codes P0700, P000A and P000B. For P000A and P000B could it be the service bulletin that came out awhile ago where the oil valves get carboned up? Should I try replacing both the intake and exhaust oil control valves, reflash the computer, and change the oil? For P0700 could it be as simple as replacing the Transmission Control Module? Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or could it be the input/output transmission speed sensors?
Expert:  bill replied 2 months ago.

the p0700 ONLY means the trans computer has found a fault and logged the code in the TRANSMISSION COMPUTER,this code sets in the PCM (engine computer) anytime a code is logged in the trans computer you have to have a scan tool or code reader that can read transmission codes BEFORE replacing ANYTHING

for the p000a and b codes i need the vin to determine IF any service bulletins apply to your vehicle if not then you need to follow the diag procedures i will send if you like

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Vin is 1C3LC46K28N107879.Where do I plug that reader into? I assume I need a different scanner then the basic OBD one I used to get the P0700 code?
Expert:  bill replied 2 months ago.

there is only 1 diagnostic port but you definitely need a better code reader or scan tool with transmission code reading ability the more you spend the better the tool, but remember a code reader can only read codes if you plan on even attempting any proper diagnostics you need something with data reading, code reading and actuator abilities, plus a good DIGITAL multi-meter AND the mindset to understand there is ALWAYS the possibility of internal transmission failure OR wiring as well not always just sensors

as for the p000a and b the service bulletin you are referring to applies ONLY to vehicles built BEFORE MARCH 5 2007 your vehicle was built in AUGUST according to the vin if you wish i can provide the diag procedure for the codes you have BUT usually the fault is in the cam phaser itself HOWEVER if you have the wrong oil in the engine (5W20 is the ONLY OIL this engine can use) it will set these codes as well, since it's NOT common to have BOTH of the cam phasers (VVT assemblies) set this code at the same time unless the wrong oil is used OR there is an oil pressure or volume problem

i have attached a link to the bulletin for your reference you have a JS body

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnek4no50v1xcig/tsb.pdf?dl=0