Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.

I cannot get the starter to turn over using the key, park,

Customer Question

I cannot get the starter to turn over using the key
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: park
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2003 PT Cruiser I replaced the Starter and Battery and the Key pin
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I can get the cart to start by using a screwdriver on the starter but when I put it in reverse or drive it act terrible
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried using your spare key? Vehicles equipped with a Sentry Key Immobilizer (SKIM) may disable the starter if the proper key is not used.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only have the key it came with, and I drove 40 miles with it in the ignition
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think someone may have removed the SKIM from around the key housing before I bought it
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay are you able to do some testing for the stater circuit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can get the starter to crank the car using a screwdriver, but I get nothing using the key
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay your going to need to check the crank signal from the ignition to the starter relay. Are you able to do this if I send you the steps?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
bu it will be later this afternoon
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Sure thing, get to it when you have time. I have enclosed the test steps in the first link as well as the starter circuit wiring diagram for testing reference and the starter relay location in the under hood panel in the third link. Have a look and run through the steps and post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.