Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

It will crank but will not start plugged in code tester and

Customer Question

it will crank but will not start plugged in code tester and it will start unplug code tester and will stop
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 1999 plymouth voyager 3.3
JA: Are you fixing your Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had the computer tested good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

you are completing the circuit plug the reader .

tell me what are you readings on the obdII plug pins , probe it from the rear of the plug

look behind the plug on the wires are they touching each other

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no they are ,not touch
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was running rough and staling put plugs an it did not start after that I cling in relays but stop

i m going to open up the question for another expert to help you on it.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the ground to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is open/broken. Make sure the grounds at the negative battery terminal are secure. From the wires attached to the negative battery terminal make sure one grounds to the frame under the battery tray (very common place for failure), leaky batteries have a tendency for corroding this connection. The link below is the ground connection under the battery tray.

G100 Battery Ground Location

You can also use one jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the frame to check this circuit. Another ground from the negative terminal is beside the transmission dipstick tube, this can be checked the same way with one jumper cable from the negative terminal to the engine block. Check these 2 connections, give them a good tug to make sure there is a good connection. Let me know if the vehicle will run without a tester plugged into the OBD2 connector.

What is happening is the OBD2 tester is completing a path to ground for the PCM circuit. If the grounds at the battery don't solve the problem(s) there could be problem(s) with the power and ground supplies at the PCM, we'll get to them later if need be.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.
Let me know what all you find.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,

I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. There are several other powers and grounds for the PCM, I need to know if you found anything at the battery before proceeding to the powers and grounds to the PCM. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Let me know.