sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My car 2001 Chrysler engine surges on its own...and it cuts

Customer Question

my car 2001 Chrysler engine surges on its own...and it cuts off....but it starts
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a number of things that could be causing your problems but it sounds as if you may have a bad throttle position sensor. Erratic TPS voltage will cause idle fluctuations. It's common for a bad TPS to cause an elevated or erratic idle and it isn't unheard of for it to cause enough dip in idle to allow the engine to die.

The first step in diagnosing the problem would be to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
car will be taken to shop on 9/15/2016.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but code were done first which only showed what appears a loose gas cap....which has been deleted

Let me know if you need any more help.