Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

My hardtop convertible suddenly will not go down..the trunk

Customer Question

My hardtop convertible suddenly will not go down..the trunk part raises and prepares for the top to go down, but that's where it stops. The top will not move. What could be wrong with it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried to reset it by disconnecting the vehicles battery for 5 minute and then reconnecting and see if it returns to normal operation? Also is the emergency brake engaged when trying to put the top down as well as no blockages in the true?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No..I have not disconnected the battery and I have never had the emergency brake engaged while lowering the top. It worked fine earlier in the day and just suddenly did not move. The trunk deck raises in preparation for the top and the windows all lower properly...everything works up till it is time for the top to lift from the car. Everything just stops and when I push the button to return everything it all works properly. It just will not lift and fold the top into the trunk.

Ok try resetting the system like I stated this should take care of the issue . If no we can continue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
LOL..I cannot find the battery. Good thing this happened because if I has to change the battery, I would have a real problem.. I will have to look this up.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know how to disconnect the battery by using the terminals that are in sight, but now I am really curious about where the battery actually is located.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Allright...that worked! It works just fine as it always did. What would cause it to malfunction and need to be reset? and also, will you please indulge this 64 year old lady and tell me where the darn battery is located? Thank you for your help!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spoke too soon..The top was going up and down just fine after I disconnected the battery cables. I put it up and down several times and then decided to take a drive with it down. When I pulled back into the driveway, I pushed the button to put the top up and the message center says "convertible top malfunction" and the top will not go back up. It is now dark outside and I am just ho-ping that it does not rain before I can get it back up. I am trying the battery disconnect again..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did the battery disconnect, but that did not do any good. The top[ is now down and will not go up. I hope it doesn't rain...