David Gieswein
David Gieswein,
Experience:  Automotive technician at Doug Gray Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep

I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible with about

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible with about 175,000 miles I recently got the car back in November and the head gasket broke in June my father has been working on the car for three months now and it's still not running right not only did the head gasket break but the back head did also we got all new parts for the car including the back head, the gaskets for both heads, put in a new water pump, timing chain, oil filter, checked the alternator and battery along with the fuses and made sure everything was put back together correctly along with fixing the timing chain several times and it's correct well today my dads friend came over to help my dad because the car will start and idol but loses power when actually driving when he came he thought he had fixed the car because he drove it down the road and everything was fine well he left and my dad changed and was going to go to the grocery store and when he went to start the car it wouldn't start my dad now has it back to idoling perfectly like it was before but it still won't drive down the road without losing power what could be the problem? I really want to keep this car because it's my first own car and because I can't afford a new one now but at the same time my dads at a lost to what could be wrong
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can help. From what you described, it sounds like the EGR valve could be working when it should not. Has your Dad rechecked the EGR valve? Maybe the vacuum lines hooked up on the wrong ports?

One way to test if you have a faulty EGR valve is to spray brake cleaner around the intake and the valve at idle. If the engine rpm or sound changes at all, you have a leak. The leak would be dependent upon where you sprayed. Also, do you have a check engine light yet? You may have to drive it to make it come on faster.

Also, if you have a scan tool that can read data, you can observe the O2 sensor readings. If you do, I can tell you exactly what the numbers mean. The numbers will tell you what is happening in the combustion chambers.

Have you resolved the issue yet? If you have please rate me so I can close the ticket. Thanks