Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

How do I replace belt tensioner on 04 sebring. 2.4 L

Customer Question

how do I replace belt tensioner on 04 sebring. 2.4 L
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Remove the right front wheel and splash shield, then put a 3/8 extension and a ratchet into the tensioner. Aplly force clockwise until the belt tensioner bottoms out and then the belt can be removed. Here is a diagram of the tensioner and operation. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know how to replace the belt. I need to replace the tensioner which broke while replacing the belt. I can't see how to remove it.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. What is the year, make, model, and engine of the vehicle?Chris
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
04 Sebring 2.4 L dohc
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks. I will look up the procedure and send it to you
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Click on the link below to see the picture. Remove the 2 bolts (# 1 in the picture) and then remove the tensioner assembly.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

I hope this information helps, and if so would you take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This assembly looks different than mine. Are you sure this is for 04 Chrysler Sebring 2.4 L dohc?
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

I will opt out now since another expert took this question mid way through completion. thank you.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

New expert here, send me the vin number. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1c3el46x64n408413
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Are we talking about the timing belt tensioner of the drive belt tensioner?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The belt tensioner that the serpentine belt goes around. Looks like one bolt but I'm not positive. I busted the assembly trying to put belt back on.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Ok, yes there is one bolt in the center and other bolt on the side of it.

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Maybe you are talking about the idler pulley and not the tensioner.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any idea what size the bolts are?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

They should be either 13mm or 15 mm heads. Probably an 8mm diameter bolt

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynyl2gy4hw6yr74/0912-sebring%2Bbelt%2Btensioner.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/ynyl2gy4hw6yr74/0912-sebring%2Bbelt%2Btensioner.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you need anything else?

Chris