Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I just purchased a 1999 Cirrus for my son. it has 109k and

Customer Question

I just purchased a 1999 Cirrus for my son. it has 109k and the oil engine light came on. The oil level is good but to me the thee engine runs very hot. He drove it last night night and this morning - 8 hours later I could still feel the engine was wam to the touch.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaking and the coolant is good. the temp gage is normal.
JA: Are you fixing your Cirrus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i just purchased it for my son as a first car and was wondering is it normal for the engine to run hot on very short drives and still feel warm to the touch 8 hours later with the oil light on? You
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Is the low oil light coming or or the engine oil pressure light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is the - according to the manual - the oil pressure light - it is the the "jeanie bottle" with a drop coming from the spout.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

In most cases if the oil pressure light is coming on and the engine is running normally with no usual noise this usually means you have a failing oil pressure sending unit. I would start with removing the sending unit and installing a manual gauge to verify the actual oil pressure to be sure its okay and if it checks okay then replace the sending unit. If you can give me your engine size I can post the location for you if needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure it what the a "low oil light would be but the oil is about 3/4 full according to the dip stick. The concern I have too is the engine seems to run very hot. The hood prop is hot to the touch and after 8 hours the engine manifold was warm to the touch, Is this normal for the 6 cylinder?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The normal operating temperature is right at 195 degrees on this car and if you not loosing any coolant and the temp gauge is reading normal then you do not likely have an overheating problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. thanks. it is a 6 cylinder 2.5 liter can you send location?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.