bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I need to replace my belt tensioner on my 2001 Convertible

Customer Question

I need to replace my belt tensioner on my 2001 Convertible Sebring, 6.7 v6 motor. i just dont know where it goes, how it sits, or what size bolt i need. The last tensioner fell off.
JA: Which belt are you dealing with? And have you changed one before?
Customer: no this is my first time. im pretty sure its the serpentine i think is how its spelt.
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I know the tensioner is what needs to be replaced. I had a machanic tell me that much, i just dont know where it has to be bolted or how to position it. so far all i have done is sit under it and try to find the right spot. without bolting it. my husband thinks i am incapable of fixing a car and im trying to prove a point.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please text or call me, i am always on my phone.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

hi i'm bill i DO NOT do live calls there are still teething issues there and mainly because i can't send documents through the phone,you can also show this to your husband so he can read it

give me a few seconds to look up the serp belt info for you

Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

your car has 2 belts 1 for the power steering and 1 for the rest of the accessories i need to know which of the belts you need assistance with

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its the serpentine belt. i know that for sure
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

ok they both are technically serpentine belts BUT i will assume the longer one is the one i am sending a link to a PDF file that contains the parts breakdown for you to look at, the BOTTOM picture is the one you need to look over the TOP 2 are for the 4 cylinder the BOTTOM one is for the V6

look over the picture and see if it helps, the belts are all accessed from UNDER the car so you definitely need to pull the tire and plastic splash shield

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w5d7edtzox3x05/techCONNECT%20Content.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its on the passanger side of the car
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

that's right the passenger side tire and splash shield needs to come off to properly access the belts and tensioner

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we have it all removed. my husband removed the part in the picture, and im guessing that is the tensioner too.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

yes the part listed as #9 is the tensioner it's held in place by 2 bolts and the pulley is NOT serviced separately the bolts are common metric ones that if you need can be found USUALLY at a home center such as Lowes or home depot in the hardware department the size is listed in the document as 8mm X1.25 with 1 being 25mm long and the other being 45mm long you will need washers as well

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay thank you so much for your help
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

do you need more assistance such as the tensioner itself?

you do need to remember every fastener on this car is metric