Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser.I replaced the motor with a salvage

Customer Question

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser.I replaced the motor with a salvage motor and transmission combination.The PT Cruiser will not start.It had a code P0601,and I replaced the ECM with a refurbished matching # unit.The car has 150 PSI compression,on all 4 cylinders,55lbs fuel pressure,timing marks in line,plugs creating spark.It TRIES to start.What I don't have is a 5-Volt reference to ground from the orange wire directly from the computer.I have cut the splice open that ties the sensors together and am dealing only with a foot long piece of wire off the computer.If I meter the orange wire to ground,I have 4.37V with an empty cam sensor plug.If I install the sensor,and it is the only sensor on that feed,I have .02V.Where the problem comes in,is I rotate the cam on the sensor and in theory it should climb to the full 4.37V in full throttle position.It does not! It only goes to .26.I cannot believe I have 4 exactly bad cam sensors,and 2 ECM,including one that is new that gives me the same reading.It's my understanding I must have this 5V reference to and through the sensors for the car to run.Any ideas?? TY
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: cam sensor does not increase to the input voltage..Only goes to .26V
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have tried 4 cam sensors,a new computer,a matched computer with key and key sensor,and nothing works
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Will the engine start up briefly with a few shots of starting fluid into the throttle body?

One second while I get a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the engine sometimes tries to run for 10 seconds...Never develops RPM's or does not rev up enough to run smooth
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

is there any security light or check engine light remaining on or flashing past bulb check, about 10 seconds or so?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the red security light goes out,the engine light stays on and does flash
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Did that code P0601 g away?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Would that orange wire be at pin 44 of the pcm?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

That is an 8 volt circuit by the way, here are them engine wiring diagrams.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

How much voltage is right at pin 44 of the pcm with every unhooked?

If you don't have 8 volts check how much voltage you have feeding the pcm and check if the battery is fully charged.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

I see a fused power source at the pin 46, red/white wire from fuse #13 in the pdc.

Also at pin 20 a dark blue/white wire from fuse #11 in the fuse block lower left front side of dash.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the orange wire appears to come off the ECM plug #35...It splices one side goes to the cam sensor,that I was saying I'm losing the voltage on.......the other end of the wire goes to the white plug located under the driver's side head light.This reads 4.37 volts with the wire cut off directly at the splice next to the ECM.As stated,the other end goes to the throttle position switch,with no switch in the harness,I have 4.37 volts on the orange wire.If I install a TPS,not connected to the throttle body,so that I can turn the cam,it starts at .02 volts and only goes up to .26.There is nothing else in the circuit downstream...I cut that wire off to test if something was grounded downstream in the harness.In test procedures,described on-line in this form..I am supposed to have a 5 volt reference,with this switch turned to FOT
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, I have to let you know what I read that I couldn't understand, you said "If I meter the orange wire to ground,I have 4.37V with an empty cam sensor plug.If I install the sensor,and it is the only sensor on that feed, I have .02V.Where the problem comes in,is I rotate the cam on the sensor and in theory it should climb to the full 4.37V in full throttle '

There you kept mentioning a cam sensor when you were talking about full throttle, I thought you meant to say throttle position sensor, now I am sure.

Nonetheless, that orange wire is supposed to be from pin 44 of the pcm and it is supposed to be supplying 8 volts o all of those sensors. If that isn't the pin that you have, let me know. Also, check the voltage right at that pin at the pcm.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

You are looking at the wrong wire, the pin 35 is an orange/dark blue and yes that does go to the tps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it goes to the TPS and yes it has 4.37 volts without a TPS sensor in the socket and .02 with one installed in the socket...but,off the throttle body and it does NOT act like a rheastat and ramp up the voltage at full open throttle.It goes to .26 NOT the 4.37 that you start with and I can't believe I have 4 bad switches.I followed a test procedure outlined in this form and that is why I used that wire.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Is this a new throttle position sensor cause you said before, "I have 4 exactly bad cam sensors".

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is something wrong here.My wire that goes to the throttle position sensor comes off pin#35.In the test procedure,previously outlined,I should be able to meter the 4-5 volts they say I should have with the cam of this switch turned to the full open position.I'm not understanding how you can take a meter from the ground battery terminal to this wire from the computer and read the volts I'm to have.But,when I put the TPS in the socket,I understand that it should start from almost nothing and climb to the supplied voltage,when fully opened.I lose this voltage.It only reads .26 volt.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
one of them is new
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

So am I supposed to guess which one is new?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where does the difference between new and used come into play?? I am getting the same results from ALL of them.,there must be another problem linked to this.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

hook the voltmeter up to that thin wire and ground it to that thing over there.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Let me guess, you have no idea what I am talking about do you?

How am I supposed to know what you mean when you use words like "all of them". All of what?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
must be over your expert area, thanks anyway
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Why don't you just tell me what you are testing. You had me believing at first it was a camshaft position sensor cause that is what you said, now it appears you are testing a throttle position sensor. Which is it? Stop using words like "them" or "it" unless you mention the item in the same sentence so I know what you are talking about.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

The TP sensor voltage should be about .8 volt at idle, and increase smoothly to more than 3.5 volts at wide open throttle

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks but i will get the car fixed without someone getting a hair up there ass and telling me to hook this to that, this was a trial run with this service and it only takes one to ruin it for the guys that do help and understand words like 'them " when your talking about more than one. as stated thanks.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

I was just trying to make a point so you know how I felt, not just telling you I didn't know what you were testing but let you scratch your head and say to yourself, 'what the hell is he talking about". I didn't mean to upset you, just let you know, I don't know if you are testing a camshaft position sensor or a throttle position sensor and when, cause you mentioned both.