Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

I have a 2012 Town and Country and the battery keeps dying.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2012 Town and Country and the battery keeps dying. So far, it hasn't died while I'm driving, but when I stop and let it sit for a few minutes, then try to start it again, it's dead. I tried changing the battery and the same thing happened with the new one. Is this a sign that the alternator is busted? Could it be anything else?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far, just changed the battery. If it's something I can at least trouble shoot myself, I'm willing to give it a try. I am working on restoring a '69 Cougar XR7, so I'm learning a bit about the workings under the hood. The Town and Country is quite different, though, but I'm not afraid to try.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

These vans are bad about developing parasitic draw and killing the battery if the vehicle sits for more than a few hours. Do you have a multi-meter to check the draw on the vehicle?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a multi-meter, unfortunately.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Well bummer.

You will need one to test for a draw. The most common source of a draw on this van is the instrument cluster or the radio. Both are known to turn themselves on randomly. Also, you will want to make sure there aren't any accessories plugged in (gps, cell phone charger, etc).

How old is the battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried two batteries. It's not the battery. My neighbor came over with a meter and we checked the battery, which was at 12.2 while cold. Then we jumped it and checked it again, while running. Now it's at 13.98. It's not the alternator. Is my only other option the TIPM? Could it be a fuse?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

I think maybe I was looking the wrong direction on this one. It's not killing the battery, it just doesn't crank? The battery stays charged?