Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2005 Pacifica, when fuel tank gets down to half, it suddenly

Customer Question

2005 Pacifica, when fuel tank gets down to half, it suddenly drops to nearly empty. I have read that the problem is a vent between the two halves of the saddle-type tank. How do I get this fixed and why were these vehicles not recalled for this widely-experienced defect?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: yes gas hog. starts fine. I bought it used so it has been this way ever since I got it
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i'm guessing he/she has seen this issue before, because I see a lot of complaints about it on the internet not interested in paying for this. you popped up on my screen. thanks anyway.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Cary York replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

I have looked for any service bulletins or recalls but none found. It sounds like a fuel tank sending unit. Normally recalls are issued for safety concerns only. Unless there is an extended warranty coverage. But being a 2005 there is properly no extended warranty coverage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My question is how to fix it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if your fuel tank suddenly goes empty on some stretch of road, that IS a safety issue.

Sorry hit the wrong button.

It would have to be properly diagnosed but sounds like a fuel level sending unit.

I assume when it goes from say half to empty you still have fuel it the tank. It just isn't reading the level properly.