Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

I was turned away at smog station in California. They stated

Customer Question

I was turned away at smog station in California. They stated they I have sensors not ready. One that they stated as not ready was the HCAT. So I bought a OBDii tool to check for myself and it appears that the HCAT Is not even supported on my vehicle. It is a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8. According to my tester the HCAT, EGR and AIR monitors are not supported on my car. All other monitors show ready. What are your thoughts. Is it ready to get sniffed or not?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No trouble codes the sensors are HCAT EGR and AIR
JA: What year is your California?
Customer: 2006 I am in California
JA: Are you fixing your California yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing anything I have no issues just need a smog and was turned away 2 times, same shop said it was not ready. I have driven over 400 miles since PCM reset.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I added a screenshot of my current I/M readiness test
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have also added a screenshot of my OBDII scantool owners manual showing that it would be a X if sensor is not ready or a ��If monitor is not supported for the particular vehicle. Am I missing something or is that smog place incompetent and should I go somewhere else?
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is your vehicle an original California Emissions vehicle? Can you take a pic of the emissions label under the hood and post it here? Also if you can post the last 8 digits of the VIN it will help greatly...

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is originally a California vehicle. I am original owner and bought it in California. The last 8 of my VIN are 6H198297. I have also attached the requested pic of my emissions label. Please let me know if you need any additional details.
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hello, from everything you are telling me and showing me, I would have to say that your vehicle is "Ready" for emissions test. If you get the run around from the same station I HIGHLY recommend a different Inspection Station.

Good Luck

Thank you,

Robert