Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

2013 Chrysler 200 v6 72k. battery light came on, checked the

Customer Question

2013 Chrysler 200 v6 72k. battery light came on, checked the battery it reads 12.6 volts. started car let idle voltage reads 14.1. I replaced the battery. while test driving the car at night the battery light came back on. I checked voltage again while light was on it reads 14.1 I shut the car off then restarted now the lights out charging voltage reads 14.1. all measurements done at the shock tower with a fluke meter. Got any ideas? Thanks Bill
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. well the 12.6 volts is good while the vehicle is not running and the 14.1 volts is ok while it is running. that means the alternator is charging the battery. a perfect reading should be around 14.4, if that battery light is coming on the its either a loose cable at the alternator or battery or the connector to the alternator id damaged or loose or has corrosion inside.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
connections at the battery are clean and tight. I will check all connections at the alternator. what concerns me is that the light comes on intermittently but yet charging voltage is stable. What role would the computer play in this?

the light is coming from the internal voltage regulator in the alternator. thats why you need to pull the connector off and inspect it for dirt, corrosion, water and a tight fit.

another way you can check it is start the car, and if its accessible have someone wiggle the connector to the alternator around to see if that battery light will flicker.

just checking in, hows it going?