Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

My 2005 Chrysler Pacifica is experiencing a significant loss

Customer Question

My 2005 Chrysler Pacifica is experiencing a significant loss of power going up hills. It downshifts but that doesnt improve acelleration at all and just continues to slow or maintain a much slower than normal speed. Ive checked fault coded and the only tow given dont seem to be related at all P0522 and P0038. I know the Poo38 is due to a sliced O2 sensor wire.
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: The wires to one of the O2 sensors has been slived apart for some time now. Long befor the power loss issue.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All Ive done so far is changed all the spark plugs. When I saw their condition I was hopefull tht it was the problem, but no such lick. New plugs didnt make a difference.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: There has always been a perriodic shuddering in the drivetrain at about 30 mph but doesnt seem related. I started to suspect a slight loss of power a couple months ago, but this significant power loss ocuured quickly over the past two weeks.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Sounds to me like a possible plugged up catalytic converter. It could be a fuel pressure problem, but that should set a "running too lean" code. Try removing the upstream O2 sensor and see if the power improves. If so, replace the cat. If it does not improve, then get the fuel pressure tested. It should maintain about 50 PSI at all times.

Hopefully this information will help.

Chris