Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

How can I troubleshoot brakes, I can not depress back

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** how can I troubleshoot brakes, I can not depress back acaliper drum ,it seems like the fluid is not returning to the ABS .I thought I had a zeised caliper ,after I removed it ,it was ok.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, you cant depress the caliper piston?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

replace the caliper my friend

see it all the time

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is the drivers side ,but the passenger was easy, I did replaced it.

you have replaced the drivers side?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my problem is that the fluid will not enter to abs unit.how can I check the abs.

Ok, I am thinking the your Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) has a sticking valve for the right front brake. It is obviously not a bad caliper . Bypassing the HCU would be tough because you would have to replace the brake lines also. I recommend replacing the HCU and bleeding the system. You may be able to get a used one?

Hope this information helps and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now I think, that we are in the same page, this is what had suspected, I still have the question I started with .Is there a way to confirm the hcu has that valve is sticking? Are there bottons or switches that can be manually activated? the reason I ask is becuse i am a packaging equiptment technician and I usally troubleshoot by the prossces of isolation, and most modern machines have adinostic screen to look for inputs and autpus,

the only way that can be done is with a diagnostic scan tool capable of bleeding and operating the abs module electrically.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can the replacement of the HCU be performed at the home garage? and then have the shop do the bleeding?

sure. let me find instructions for you.

what engine do you have cause it sure isnt a 3.1

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine 3.3

ok

Here is some information on removing and installing the HCU,

HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNITREMOVEDisconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery and isolate cable. Using a brake pedal depressor, move and lock the brake pedal to a position past the first inch of pedal travel. This will prevent brake fluid from draining out of the master cylinder when the brake tubes are removed from the HCU. Raise vehicle. Vehicle is to be raised and supported on jackstands or on a frame contact type hoist. See Hoisting in the Lubrication And Maintenance section of this service manual. Remove the routing clip attaching the HCU wiring harness to the HCU mounting bracket CAB 25 Way Connector CAUTION: Do not apply a 12 volt power source to any terminals of the 25 way HCU connector when disconnected. Remove the 25 way connector CAB 25 Way Connector from the CAB. The 25 way connector is removed from the CAB using the following procedure. Grasp the lock on the 25 way connector CAB 25 Way Connector and pull it as far out as possible Unlocked 25 Way CAB Connector This will raise and unlock the 25 way connector from the socket on the CAB.CAUTION: Before removing the brake tubes from the HCU, the HCU must be thoroughly cleaned. This must be done to prevent dirt particles from falling into the ports of HCU or entering the brake tubes. Thoroughly clean all surfaces of the HCU, and all brake tube nuts located on the HCU. Use only a solvent such as Mopar Brake Parts Cleaner or an equivalent to clean the HCU. Remove the brake tubes (6) from the inlet and outlet ports on the HCU. Brake Tube Connections To HCU Remove the 3 bolts HCU To Suspension Cradle Mounting Bolts attaching the HCU mounting bracket to the front suspension crossmember. Remove HCU and the mounting bracket as a unit from the vehicle. Remove the 3 bolts HCU Mounting Bolts mounting the HCU to the mounting bracket. Separate the HCU from the mounting bracket. Remove the CAB CAB 25 Way Connector from the bottom of the HCU for installation on the replacement HCU. Refer to Controller Antilock Brakes (CAB) in the Removal And Installation Section in this group of the Manuals Tab for the required procedure. INSTALLInstall the CAB CAB 25 Way Connector on the bottom of the HCU. Refer to Controller Antilock Brakes (CAB) in the Removal And Installation Section in this group of the Manuals Tab for the required procedure. Install the HCU on the mounting bracket HCU Mounting Bolts Install the 3 bolts HCU Mounting Bolts attaching the HCU to the mounting bracket. Tighten the 3 mounting bolts to a torque of 11 N·m (97 in. lbs.) CAUTION: The HCU mounting bracket to front suspension cradle mounting bolts have a unique corrosion protection coating and a special aluminum washer. For this reason, only the original, or original equipment Mopar replacement bolts can be used to mount the HCU bracket to the front suspension crossmember. Install the HCU and its mounting bracket as an assembly on the front suspension crossmember. Install the 3 bolts attaching the HCU bracket to the crossmember HCU To Suspension Cradle Mounting Bolts Tighten the 3 mounting bolts to a torque of 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) CAUTION: Because of the flexible section in the primary and secondary brake tubes, and the brake tubes between the HCU and the proportioning valve, the brake tubes must be held in proper orientation when tightened and torqued. These tubes must not contact each other or other vehicle components when installed. CAUTION: When installing the chassis brake tubes on the HCU valve block, they must be located correctly in the valve block to ensure proper ABS operation. Refer to Brake Tube Connections To HCU for the correct chassis brake tube locations. NOTE: The chassis brake tube attachment locations to the HCU, are marked on the bottom of the HCU mounting bracket. Install the 6 chassis brake tubes into their correct port locations on the HCU valve block as shown in Brake Tube Connections To HCU Tighten the tube nuts to a torque of 17 N·m (145 in. lbs.) NOTE: Before installing the 25 way connector in the CAB be sure the seal is properly installed in the connector. Install the 25 way connector CAB 25 Way Connector on the CAB using the following procedure. Position the 25 way connector in the socket of the CAB and carefully push it down as far as possible. When connector is fully seated by hand into the CAB socket, push in the connector lock Unlocked 25 Way CAB Connector This will pull the connector into the socket of the CAB and lock it in the installed positionNOTE: The CAB wiring harness must be clipped to the HCU mounting bracket. This will ensure the wiring harness is properly routed and does not contact the brake tubes or the body of the vehicle. Clip the cab wiring harness CAB 25 Way Connector to the HCU mounting bracket. Install the routing clips Brake Tube Routing Clips on the brake tubes. Lower vehicle. Connect negative cable back on negative post of the battery. Bleed the base brakes and the ABS brakes hydraulic system. Refer to the Bleeding ABS System in this section of the manual for the proper bleeding procedure.

Road test vehicle to ensure proper operation of the base and ABS systems.Here is some information on removing and installing the HCU,

just checking in to see how its going......

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have had a busy week ,I am going back to work saturday . i have a stupid question . what are the chances of going to the boneyard and getting a used hydrualic assmbly ,is it worth the labor per hour cost?

its always a 50/50 shot getting parts from a salvage yard. been burnt before........