sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 Chrysler town and country - had ignition recall

Customer Question

2008 Chrysler town and country - had ignition recall completed 2 weeks ago. Driving on Saturday night and van just quit, started smelling something electrical burning. Couldn't restart car. Turn key to on position and all electronics work but when you turn to run, it won't start, just a click.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You could have many things going on and it will likely take some electrical testing to determine the cause of the no start condition. You could have a bad TIPM, a wiring issue, it may be the starter itself. The starter may have stayed engaged while the engine was running and that would explain the smell.

Is it a single solid click from the engine compartment you're hearing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After letting it sit for two days, I was able to get it to slightly turn over using the auto-start. I then got in the car and kept attempting to start. It was slow to turn, acted like it wanted to turn and finally did. Ran for about 10 min and then the burning smell started again and smoking from under the alternator area. Turned it off and it won't start. We put in a new battery 3 months ago and like I said they just did the ignition recall on it two weeks ago. The click I hear is a solid one time click not a stuttering clicking.
Laura

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my husband does.

Let's first see what battery voltage is at rest. Don't attempt to run the engine again to avoid further damage.