Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Over heating, Yez, 2001 pt cruiser, Yes and just trying to

Customer Question

Over heating
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yez
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2001 pt cruiser
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and just trying to figure out why it's over heating...when the AC is on and driving in hot weather is when it gets hot, the coolant bubbles and gurgles after the car is shut off
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Adding coolant didn't help turning the AC off will bring down the temp
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't remember hearing the fan at all the last few times it was driven so could it just be the fan that is out causing the overheating?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

That is possible, does the fan come on when the AC has been on for a few minutes?

Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

Do you still need help with it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just ran the car with and without the AC and the fan does not come on
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

That could very well be the problem then. The tests on it do require the use of a scan tool though. I can send you the tests if you like, thanks