Shawn, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing cars for 20 years.

I have my 2005 T&C in for transmission service. They told me

Customer Question

Hi, I have my 2005 T&C in for transmission service. They told me that the trans is leaking and it needs a rebuild to the tune of $3200 dollars. Feels like I might be getting fleesed for a leak
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: line are probably original. I didn't see in the carfax report where any transmission service had been done. When I first start the car it usually won't go into gear at first. spins like it is in neutral. then when it does it usually gives me issue for the first 1/4 mile where it won't go from 1st to second. it just spins like in neutral. Once it gets past that it is usually good. Once driving, if I make a very sharp turn it sometimes slips out of gear again. after a few seconds it goes back in again.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can't afford the rebuild they are suggesting so I am looking for options
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not sure, guess not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 month ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. Yes by the sounds of it the mechanic is correct and you will need to replace/ rebuild your trans...however at $3200....may want to explore some other to them about possibly replacing with a good used trans. Pros and cons to both, I know some shops will not even entertain using a used trans. You will have to work that out with them.