Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

It keeps overheating and bubbles out of the overflow.

Customer Question

it keeps overheating and bubbles out of the overflow. replaced the radiator lower hose and thermostat yesterday and it did it again .it only seems to do it when going up and down hills.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: yes cant find any leaks, fans work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2001 pt cruiser
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought it drove it home and the next morning it broke down, we replaced the fuel pump and camshaft sensor, drove fine other then a rough idle, change the spark plugs a week later, the the next day while driving home from school it overheated, added antifreeze, causes it was almost empty from bubbling over, drove it around town it did great, drove it to school 2 days after adding anti freeze it overheated again 1/4 of the way home. changed radiator, thermostat and lower hose yesterday, drove it around for about 30-40 mins and it over heated again, added water to it cause I was out in the country and out of antifreeze and drove it home, it did fine. got up this am check the oil, transmission fluid water etc. everything seems fine drove it to town its going fine. but I am afraid its going to do it again, I don't know what else could be causeing it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 195000 miles.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the biggest causes for an over heat issue with coolant over flowing from the reservoir is a leaking cylinder head gasket issue.It isnt a type of leak that will show up leaking onto the ground or oil and coolant mixing but instead it's a leak where exhaust can leak past the gasket into the cooling system causing a super heat condition which over heats the engine and boils the coolant out of the over flow.

If you have not had an engine block test done at all this needs done.This is a simple test most all shops can do and takes less then a half hour to do.This will tell you for sure if a head gasket needs replaced.You can also purchase a block test kit from a parts store to do this testing as well yourself and it comes with easy to follow instructions.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete