sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Just replaced entire ignition assembly in 2004 Inferno Red

Customer Question

Just replaced entire ignition assembly in 2004 Inferno Red Crossfire bcause key quit turning. After replacement, new key turned and started car . It ran for moment then died. Turned it again, same thing happened. On third try, key would no longer turn at all, just like original.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like the repair most likely was not complete. You mentioned a new key, I'm assuming that you replaced the key along with the other parts. I'm also assuming that you didn't have the car towed to a dealer to have the key programmed, in which case it will cause what you experienced.

Was the key not programmed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You are right, new accompanying keys not programmed. This assumes that key cylinder has some kind of internal solenoid electromagnetically locked out by car ECM, yes? Will dealer program new keys according to VIN on current registration? And, if so, will this affect original fob's abilty to remotely lock/unlock doors and defeat security?

The original keys can be erased manually but programming others will not affect them if you don't want it to.

The keys are programmed using a scan tool. The PIN to allow programming is obtained using the VIN.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Limited funding here, currently, so typed dialog must do for now. Must they have the vehicle as well?

Yes, the vehicle has to be at a dealer for them to program the keys to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Must it go to Chrysler or Mercedes?

Either would be able to program it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have neglected to tell you throughout all that this ignition and keys , brand new mind you, is from private party sale and not from dealer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have been told by local locksmith that ignition and keys have to be preprogramed from authorized dealer according to VIN and once started after installation, are to all sync up at once. Basically rendering anything I've done to this point, useless.
Do you agree with this assessment. This is beyond proprietary, especially considering Mercedes was already phasing this system out in their own lines for same year. This has suddenly become much more expensive.

Keys don't come programmed. They are programmed to the vehicle with a scan tool.