sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My wife's 2007 Sebring won't open electronically or

Customer Question

My wife's 2007 Sebring won't open electronically or manually. The key inserts in but won't turn.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can't get inside the car and the key is fine. We drove the car yesterday without any problem.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just found this problem and I have done anything but try to look up what the answer could be.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The trunk won't open as well. Nothing is working.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've spoken to two service departments at Chrysler dealerships and neither one of them has an answer to it. I'm having AAA come out and get me into the car because one service tech said that the lock needed to be unjammed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the key won't turn in the lock cylinder the problem may be the key itself, the lock cylinder, or it could be a failed latch. If the mechanical and electrical issue started at the same time as the mechanical issue then a bad latch is likely.

Does the fob work, the lights flash and the other doors unlock, just the driver's door does not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After AAA got me in the fob has been working, but the lock will need to be fixed because it still doesn't turn. I still don't understand why nothing worked and now the fob does.

Have you tried a second key to see if it would turn in the lock cylinder?

You're able to manually lock and unlock the door from inside?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We don't have a second key, and yes I can manually lock and unlock the doors from inside the car

If there doesn't appear to be any physical damage to the key then it's probably not the cause, but it's possible for it to be worn enough to prevent it from turning.

If you can't turn the key whatsoever then it's most likely the key or the lock cylinder. If you're able to turn it slightly but it feels stiff and doesn't continue to turn then it's more likely to be the latch. The door panel is going to need to come off to further diagnose it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think you're right and it's the cylinder. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

You're welcome and good luck with it!