Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2007 town & country shift in park, indicator in r, will not

Customer Question

2007 town & country shift in park, indicator in r, will not start with the brake on the shifter will move and the indicator change but not to park or n
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 months ago.

DO you have a helper that can move the shifter for you as you look at a couple of things?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What I need you to do is open the hood and look down just in front of the radiator at the top of the transmission and you should see the shift lever and shifter cable. Have your helper move the shifter and see if the lever and or cable are moving.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it moves

Will the shifter itelf move into park and the van not roll if you push it with the brakes not applied?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
shift in park and van stopped in park

What gear does the indicator show the shifter is in when it is in park? Does it show the same gear no matter what gear the shifter is in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
indicator moves to all gears except for n and p

Do you have a test light and a digital volt meter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no

You will need to get at least a digital volt meter so we can test the range sensor to see if the sensor is sending voltage out of it so the computer knows what gear the transmission is in. Your local auto parts store will have one for around $20.00

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok how do i do the testing

Get the meter and I will go over each test step by step so we can find out for sure what is going on. I will upload some diagrams for you so you know what wires to test. This will take some time so go get the meter and when you return just drop me a line on this string and we can start the testing. You do not have to open a new question, just come back to this string.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it will take ma an hour to get the meter

That is fine, I will be here for the next 9 hours.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am back with the meter

ok I have the pin out for the range sensor for you. Do you know where the range sensor plugs up on the transmission?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
how do you shrink the ratings portion it takes up a lot of the screen

To be honest with you , I do not know. I have not asked a question on here in so long I do not know what your screen looks like.

If you look just to the right of the shift lever on the transission you will see a gray plug that plugs in to the transmission straight down. It is a 10 pin plug with only 6 wires. You will need a paper clip to do the testing I am going to ask you to do.

Here is a pin out of the plug you will be testing. the wire colors in this plug should be pin pin 3 dark green with a purple strip. pin 4 dark green with an orange strip pin 5 dark green with a gray strip, pin 7 dark green with a light blue strip pin 8 dark green with a dark blue strip pin 9 dark green with a yellow strip, and pin 10 dark green with a gray strip, pin 10 and pin 5 have the same color wires.

with the range sensor plug plugged up slide the paper clip down along side the dark green wire with a gray strip in in 10 with the ignition switch in the run position see what the voltage is then check the wire in pin 5 same colors as pin 10 please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cannot the plug out is there something i am missing

I am sorry I do not understand what you last posted.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i got the grey plug out but it only has 2 wires in it

Let me post a diagram of the sensors and switches for you so you can find the right one to test.

Here is the diagram.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
send me a list of the tests via email i have to quit for tonite but will be back tomorrow

There is not list of tests for me to send. You have to do each test so I know what test for you to do next. Do you want to set up a time when we can meet back up here to finish ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when do you start
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am available all day tomorrow

I do not go to bed till around 7 am, and am back online around 2 pm.eastern time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i contact you tomorrow

just come back to this chat and post a message.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
k

Chat with you tomorrow.