Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

All dash lights shut off when you engage the starter and

Customer Question

All dash lights shut off when you engage the starter and nothing happens also if you leave the key on the dash lights shut off after 5 to 10 seconds
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Checked every fuse and both fuse boxes everything's good
JA: What is the model of your '10 Chrysler?
Customer: 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring 3.5 liter motor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am the mechanic
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've replace the ignition switch still have the same problem
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Has the battery ever been replaced in your 2007 300?

Has this battery been tested yet?

From what you decsribe, it sounds like you have a bad battery that needs to be replaced.

Let me know the answer to the above questions and we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery has 100% charge I even had to jump box on it and I still get the same symptoms
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Ok, you may have a wiring issue but need to verify how you determined that the battery is good. Having 100% charge doesn't mean that the battery is good. Has it been "Load Tested" to determine the state of health of the battery?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

If the battery is bad, many times even a jump box won't help... Especially in today's copmputerized vehicles that MUST have enough current available from the battery to allow the engine to start.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just retested battery with load tester hundred percent charge during the course of working on it times it will start but not very often
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have two Chrysler's in my shop my other one when you turn the key on solenoids in the engine compartment click in the throttle body clicks on the one I'm having problems with there is no clicking at all in the engine compartment
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Headlight Horn Radio everything works even after that shuts off what about the neutral safety switch when you step on the brake Key on gear shifter comes out of park you can hear it click in the shifter
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Has it been scanned yet? If so what is the make and model of your scanner?

Is there a "Red Dot" illuminated on the instrument cluster when you are trying to start the vehicle with the ignition in the "Run" Position?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Security light stays on for 2 seconds shuts off then and within another five seconds the rest of the dash shuts off we have a Mac scan tool but can't scan because the dash shuts down and kills power to the port
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After the lights shut off have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for the lights to reset and come back on then they do the same thing again
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

So you lose power to pin 16 of the DLC connector also??

Let me research this a bit to see where the dlc receives it's power..

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
7h682872 the vehicle has 139 833
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That last number is ***** miles
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Ok, The DLC receives it's power from the Power Distribution Center Fuse #8. Can you use a test light and have someone probe fuse 8 in the PDC in the Trunk and check for power there while you attempt to crank the engine? Let me know if the power goes away at the fuse at the same time the dash lights go out....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Post back the results of the above test and we can go from there..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got busy doing something else I'll get back to you as soon as I can my man
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good, I 'll be here...

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I did your tests to fuse a Twitches ignition switch airbag control module fuse and the power stayed on continuously during the test even when the lights went out on the dash
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relay 21 clicks when the dash lights go off little click again when it resets the dash lights and I have no idea what real 821 does it's not in the manual but I have switch all the relays and that has not made a difference
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relay 21 is the Run relay
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

So fuse 8 had power the whole time that you were having the lights go out? Can you run this same test but instead of fuse 8, probe pin 16 in the DLC, post back the results...

Ok since the Run Relay is clicking, have you checked Diode #2? Make sure it's good and it is installed in the correct orientation..

See Wiring Diagram for more info

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay you're starting to lose me here when you say DLC you mean the fuse box correct and diode 2 that's in the rear fuse box correct and Slot 2
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
DLC what does that stand for
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay figured out which ones are the diodes the ones with the little arrows on them I replace a 02 with another diode and I'm still confused on pin 16 can you help me with that one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
DLC diagnostic link connector is that correct
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK tested 16 diagnostic port I had power the whole way through the test even when the dash lights went out
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

DLC stands for Datalink Connector. This is where you plug in your scanner to diagnose the vehicle. You stated that the scanner loses power so I figure we need to get power to the scanner so we can properly diagnose the concern...

If you are getting power on pin 16 of the DLC then you MUST be able to communicate with at least the PCM. Are you able to scan at this time for codes? What is the model number for your Mac Scanner?

Thank you...

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mac Tools Mentor touch Scout and I am still unable to communicate with the car's computer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also unable to communicate with my Actron scanner
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Ok, I'm posting a procedure for no response from PCM. See if you can run this procedure and let me know if this helps any...

No Response from PCM --->> Click Here to view <<---

You may have a bad PCM since you say no clicking from under hood like the other vehicle...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert