Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and my AC comes on cool when first

Customer Question

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and my AC comes on cool when first start car then sto0ps putting out cool air with in around 5-10 miles of driving? Checked freon a bit low so added some then she was really cold at start up but same lose after driving any ideas? Seems more I read online this is a common problem with PTs
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: no radiator leaks coolant is also fine
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: put in some freon and replaced lower speed radiator fan relay in fuse box have also done high speed relay as well made no difference
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the cold air switch over to cool outside air blowing in or does it switch over to hot air like the heater has been switched on?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry Pete responded to your question above through a link in the email but don't think you got it because I haven't heard back and given your quick initial response thought I try again. In answer to question "Does the cold air switch over to cool outside air blowing in or does it switch over to hot air like the heater has been switched on?" The cold air switches over like outside air blowing in not like heated air from heater. Also don't know if you got this answer either but you asked if the air venting was on inside circulation or outside it is on inside circulation. Hope this helps and sorry for delay in answering not sure what happen to my other response.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,I got this reply,thanks.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just want to say your help was appreciated though pretty inconsequential and of little use. I have taken the car in to our mechanic to be fixed and will no longer need your services. Thanks have good week.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I was not able to leave an answer to your question here as I was trying to get enough info to help with answering before I posted the answer.If there is anything else I can help with on this here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately your last request of me was to get a scan reading and the only way to do that was to take it to the dealer and pay $85.00. You see unless the check engine light is on, which mine is/was not, Auto Zone, Discount and other parts dealers in our town won't do a reading for you. So if I am going to pay someone $85 to do a reading then as I said I took it to my mechanic and he is fixing it at a cost of $190.00.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,if there is anything else we can help with in the future let us know.

Thanks Pete