bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have to keep replacing the rear tires, less than a year

Customer Question

I have to keep replacing the rear tires
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: less than a year old. I had all four replaced in September of last year. The front tires still look great. I think it has something to do with the toe adjustment on the back tires. They are only wearing on the inside.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2004 Pacifica
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not necessarily fixing, just trying to get a closer look before taking it to the shop. The husband took the rear driver tire off, removed brake pad, caliper and rotor. We thought it was the camber but there's no adjustment for that. Trying to find the location of the toe adjustment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so...
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.

the rear toe adjustment is in the link I posted below.

a BIG concern with rear tire wear (or any wear for that matter front or rear) is the amount of weight in the the car if you NORMALLY carry a bit of weight *more than 50 pounds or so) it's a very good idea to have an alignment performed WITH THAT WEIGHT in the car as with any car the weight of the drivers and passengers make a difference in the alignment angles the factory sets the alignment with just a driver in the car and this is fine for NORMAL driving conditions BUT if you usually carry a full car load of people this can change the suspension height and therefore angles enough to cause abnormal tire wear.

also any worn parts or bent parts will cause the angles to become out of the specified range, the shop you have perform the alignment will be able to give you a full printout of the before and after readings anything WAY out of range needs repair anything JUST out of range is ok of course anything out of range should be adjusted IF there is an adjustment, adjustable angles on your car are front toe and rear toe if rear camber is out something is bent or worn, if FRONT camber is out a BIT there are kits available to correct this BUT require modification to the front struts, caster is a non tire wearing angle and NOT adjustable at all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fy5702c258xrzpj/rear.pdf?dl=0

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need, if you have further questions ASK I am here to assist as best as I can

Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.

i see you have not responded or rated do you still need assistance or have further questions?

if not please remember

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need