Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Got a minute? What happened to matt? What happened to Matt?

Customer Question

Good morning. Got a minute?
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: What happened to matt?
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: What happened to Matt?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 2001 PT Cruiser fan issue
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm seeing that you're having some sort of fan issue but there isn't an actual description of a problem here. Can you elaborate on what kind of problem you're having?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your reply. This site was a bit deceiving in its operation. When I paid my $5 deposit, I was under the impression that I was being redirected to a "live" technician. I was not happy about that at all. Not sure if this is going to go through or not, so here goes. I have a 2001 pt cruiser. Initial issue was the engine fan was making a terrible noise, and ultimately replace due to a failed bearing in the fan. Replacement was easy. However after replacing the fan, now the fan will not come on at all. Not when the A/C is turned on (which doesn't work, by the way) Direct 12+ feed to the fan itself works on both low and high speeds. Initially when I replaced the engine fan, decided to replace the water temperature sensor, which apparently was the wrong part as I could not get the connector to make an actual connection. Replaced again with the original unit, which is still working. Tested all the relays, and all are working. Got new relays anyways, replaced and again tested all of those. Tested for 12 volt power at relay bases. 12 volt power found where it should be. Running the engine, I still get the P1490 error code for low fan. No matter what I do, I simply cannot get the fan to turn on. Not sure what else to do. Does the fact that the A/C not working have anything to do with it? What else can I try?

How many terminals at the relays have power with the engine running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Two, constant - with or without the engine running.

If the relays are installed, the codes cleared and engine ran does the P1490 set on it's own? Removing the relay for testing is going to cause the code to set.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Come on, really? You think I didn't know that?

I don't have a way of knowing what you know, and don't have any information about the problem other than what is posted here. I don't have a way of knowing your ability level or testing that has been done as I am not there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand that. I am trying to give to you what diagnostic process have been done thus far.

I have to be able to ask questions and have open communication if the answer to something necessary is not on the page.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let's cut the chit-chat here. Do you have any additional ideas I haven't already tried? Is it possible the dead A/C somehow affecting the signal to the low speed side of the fan? These are things not covered in any chilton manual.

I don't know what you have tried. You were offended by me asking questions to begin diagnosis, and have not replied with an answer to my last question. I will open your question to see if another expert is willing to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What a joke
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, it appears you are just throwing parts at your vehicle and not troubleshooting it properly. do a continuity test of the wiring for the circuits. and no, the dead ac has notihng to do with your issue.

hello?????

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this still working? Who is my new mechanic? And no I am not just throwing Parts at my car I'm slightly more intelligent than that
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

The fan you replaced it with is it new or used?

Also if you unplug the coolant sensor will the fan run? It should

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your reply. I have a 2001 pt cruiser. Initial issue was the engine fan was making a terrible noise, and ultimately I replaced it due to a failed bearing in the fan. Replacement was easy. However after replacing the fan, now the fan will not come on at all. Not when the A/C is turned on (which doesn't work, by the way) Direct 12+ feed to the fan itself works on both low and high speeds. Initially when I replaced the engine fan, decided to replace the water temperature sensor, which apparently was the wrong part as I could not get the connector to make an actual connection. Replaced again with the original unit, which is still working. Tested all the relays, and all are working. Got new relays anyways, replaced and again tested all of those. Tested for 12 volt power at relay bases. 12 volt power found where it should be. Running the engine, I still get the P1490 error code for low fan. No matter what I do, I simply cannot get the fan to turn on. Not sure what else to do. Does the fact that the A/C not working have anything to do with it? What else can I try? UPDATE: Now not getting any voltage at the high-speed relay. Just what appears to be a 0.5v reference voltage? I noticed while testing I blew out the 10amp fuse. So again while there, I like the idea of having an LED light up if the fuse blows, so I replaced all the fuses in the distribution box. Again re-tested basse of relays for voltage - nada. I could really use some help here.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

OK so I still dont know if it runs with the coolnat temp sensor unplugged. I will opt out and see if someone else is willing to help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Look at this thread! This site is ridicules! So the question of the day is, "How many mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?" Come on guys. Someone? Anyone?