Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

When your front steer wheel starts macking clunck/popping

Customer Question

When your front steer wheel starts macking clunck/popping noises not the screech from your brakes but almost a creeking popping noise when you turn and/or apply the brakes what is it? Loose parts? Worn out parts?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Stacy Farist replied 3 months ago.

Hi thanks for using justanswer.com Ill be glad to assist you. If the vehicle is stationary, and you turn the steering wheel does it make the noise?

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.. When you hear noises like you describe, it is usually a front strut mount, strut spring, or a ball joint. These items can wear out and make creaking/popping noises. A reputable shop can use a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint the noise. Should be easy to find.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, did you receive my last reply?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it some thing I can fix...or lube?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I replaced the shocks about a year ago front and back but that wheel area is the only one making all the popping rubbing noises.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Well, if you have the special tools, (Strut spring compressor, etc.) and a place to safely raise the vehicle to remove the struts/ ball joints then you can do it. But if not, leave that job to a proffesional.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply? If you need further assistance, please let me know. If my answer has been helpful, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. If you need further assistance, I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Chris