Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience all makes and models, Subaru and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I got a p0340 engine code after my car engine cut out on me

Customer Question

I got a p0340 engine code after my car engine cut out on me on the highway. The p0340 has to do with the camshaft position sensor. so I replaced it. Didn't work. I was told that sometimes a weak battery will cause that same code, so I replaced the battery. Same deal, didn't work. The engine will turn over but it wont start. I am now a a loss for what to do.
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: Battery is brand new. Just got it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2002 pt cruiser
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I replaced the battery and the camshaft sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I was told that a p0340 code can also be the result of a bad crankshaft sensor, would it be worth looking into that?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike V.v replied 7 months ago.

HI there,

Take the oil fill cap off and have someone crank the engine while you watch the cam shaft. It should turn while cranking the engine. If it's not turning then the issue is a broken timing belt. If it is turning, then you should pull the timing cover and make sure the timing marks line up. If not, then it jumped time.

Either of these will cause the cam sensor code and cause the no start.

Please check this and let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was told that to check the timing belt, all I needed to do was to have someone crank it, while feeling behind the exhaust and if i felt air being propelled then the timing belt was working. I did do that and I did fell air being propelled from the back. First, is that a reliable test to check the timing belt? secondly, lets say the timing marks don't line up, is that something I could fix myself?
Expert:  Mike V.v replied 7 months ago.

if the timing marks don't line up then you have to remove the cover and replace the belt.

I guess it's possible that test would work for checking but honestly, that would be moving a lot of air ou of the exhaust considering there isn't anything firing. I would use my test if possible. Either really only tells you that the belt isn't broken, doesn't mean it hasn't jumped time.

A compression test would tell you if the belt jumped time or not, but most folks don't have a compression gauge. If you have one though, it's the fastest most reliable test you could do.

Expert:  Mike V.v replied 7 months ago.

Hello again, I haven't heard back from you so I thought I would check and see if you need further assistance?