sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My 2103 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon won't shift, seems like it is

Customer Question

My 2103 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon won't shift, seems like it is in 2nd gear. It won't manually sport shift into any gears and on the Superch Traildash 2 it has a gear indicator on it, when the vehicle is in Park it indicates P for park, reverse it indicates its in P for park, Neutral it indicates N for neutral and drive it indicates P for park as well. This happened for the first time a month ago when I was on the why driving in the rain and went thru some standing water in my lane of traffic, I was out of town and it was a Sunday so I had to stay overnight. The next day it started to shift normal when I started to drive it to a dealership. Has not happened since until now. This has been like this all weekend with no driving thru water.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Have you had it scanned for codes in the TCM?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No,the trail dash 2 has no CEL detected and the CEL on dash is not lit up
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You could have a problem with the transmission range sensor, by what you are describing about the shift indicator, this would cause it to go into limp mode causing it not to shift.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
True but I see no trans range sensor externally on the trans like other trains I have seen. There is only one plug that goes into the trans and it is on the pass front just above the pan. I have removed the shield, unplugged and cleaned the connector and sprayed it out with wd40. So change.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It just seems weird that when I ran thru the water in the lane on the why that this happened. An external range switch is what came to mind as well, but when I looked there is nothing outside of the trains unlike a 4l60 or 4l80 or other ford trans
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the HWY
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

This is a Mercedes transmission

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and hold them together for 15 minutes. Then reconnect one at a time, positive first then negative.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
these is a Mercedes trans 5 speed auto. I have disconnected the battery, and touched them together then put them back on one at a time. No change. I have also disconnected the pos cable from the TIPM and put it back on then turned the key to the on position for 12 sec then started the vehicle to rest it. No change.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

How many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
50 k
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Should be covered under powertrain warranty 5/60k. I would take it to the dealer and have it diagnosed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it should be but the local Jeep warrentee rep f**ked me and black flagged my warr and my bumper to bumper extra warr. I'm still paying for because I lifted it and put bigger tires on it and a dual battery trey. Go figure
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I don't think I am going to be able to help you with this with no codes.

I am going to opt out and another expert should be helping you out shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?