Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

2008 Sebring Hard top convertible. Water leak by the back

Customer Question

2008 Sebring Hard top convertible. Water leak by the back side windows both sides. Can this be from the first roof seam? If so, how do we fix it? Thank you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 months ago.

Hello Bill,sorry for the delay, this is an odd issue, does the leak depend on how hard the rain? or car wash or any type of rainfall?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't noticed in a drizzle but in a normal rain it drips on both sides in the same spot. Appears to be even with the first roof seam.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please call me if you can.
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 months ago.

ok, is there a way you can upload a few pictures of the affected area so i can see it?

i do want to be upfront and say that i have not personally experienced this with this model so it may take a few messages to get you fixed up, but i have been a technician for 20 years and 16 years as a benz tech and fixed convertible issues all the time i that is the reason i took on your question, and i feel confident that i can get you in the right direction or at least to someone who can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lou, I will have to see if my wife can send pics as it is her car. It may take a little while. If she can't send them today, I will take pics tonight then send (I will be out of the country tomorrow and Wednesday so it could be Thursday before you and I speak again).
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 months ago.

that is ok on my end, i am in no hurry so please go ahead when you can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took a pic but the file was too large. If you draw a line straight down from the seam closest to the trunk, that is where the drip lands, about an inch inside of the back window. Due to the curve of the glass and roof, the drip is almost in line with the edge of the roof but is inside of the car.
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 months ago.

ok the 08 is the hard top convertible right?

Expert:  Lou P replied 2 months ago.

ok so what i would do is sit inside the car and have a second person run a garden hose over different areas of the roof to see where the leak would be most revealing, then i would check the seals and rub powder on them and retest , that way it would be evident where the water was running. if the water is near the glass we use a dollar bill and roll the glass up to squeeze the dollar in the seal and pull on it to see how much friction we can get.

Expert:  Lou P replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any luck ? Was my info helpful ? If not I will opt out for another tech to assist. Let me know. I want to get you fixed up. Lou

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lou, I haven't had a chance to follow your idea. My wife took some good pics but I can't get them to go through. Any way I can get your email address and send them that way?