Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

My mother bought a 2006 PT cruiser from an individual. every

Customer Question

My mother bought a 2006 PT cruiser from an individual. every once in awhile only when starting it up the check engine light will come on put in reverse backs up fine put in over drive and the car will not shift into second. how ever if you pull over and put it in park shut off the engine restart it put it back in over drive it shifts and works and if it doesn't do it again for the next 5 or 8 start ups or so the check engine light will go out until the next few times. i took it to auto zone and had them pull codes (P0700, P0882, P0613,. they recommended i check the battery connections and the wiring under the battery i did and it all looks good. any other ideas?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am and nothing so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no t think thats it
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The most common cause for the problem you are having is in most cases caused by a failing Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). In order to determine if in fact that is the case you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps to do this in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0886%20Aug%2015.pdf