kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I have a 2006 pt cruiser base model. my a/c would cycle on

Customer Question

I have a 2006 pt cruiser base model. my a/c would cycle on and off so i've replaced my radiator fan and ac cycling switch and my ac still cycles on and off when its on.
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: nope. both the hi and low fan relays were both replaced when i changed out the cooling fan
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the radiator fan, ac cycles. replaced the cycling switch, still cycles. freon is still full and doesnt need to be recharged.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me what the high and low side pressure readings are?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have access to a pressure reader and I do not know how to use one.

How do you know the freon level is correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do know that before i replaced the radiator fan, whenever I would bring the car to a stop, the ac would start blowing hot air.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought the car in may of 2016 and was informed that the ac was recharged.

At this point I do not believe that there is enough freon in the system. I will be happy to help you solve and fix this problem but you will need to get a manifold gauge set so we can check the system, as well as recharge it if need be. You can get a set form your local auto parts store for around $40. This is much less then taking your car in to have it checked. Once you have the set, I will walk you through step by step how to connect the gauges, as well as how to read the pressures. Then we can get to the root of your problem and fix the ac so it will blow cold again.

The reason I believe that the level is low is, If the fans where not working then the high side pressure would have gotten to high and the pressure pop off valve would have released freon to drop the pressure so the system would not act like a balloon over filled and pop. Now when the system comes on the low side is to low so the low side pressure switch cut the compressor off to keep it from locking up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I will definitely see if I can get one tomorrow.

How far away is your local auto parts store? You will need a couple more things to go with the gauges. You will need at least two cans of freon, a can adapter, and I would get a small can of stop leak as well. The can adapter that I would suggest will be one that screws onto the top of the can. They are the easiest to use.

If the parts store is not that far away just get the gauge set till we know what the pressures are. Please do not fall for the salesmans all you need is this one can with a gauge on it. That gauge is only good for seeing the low side pressure. We need to know what the high side is as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
about 2 miles.

Then just get the gauges till we know exactly what all you need. This way you do not have to take anything back for a refund.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. thanks for all your help.

You are very welcome. Chat with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey there. I got my ac to work again. my mechanic discovered the cycling switch was turning on and off due to low freon. a refill of fresh 134a did the trick.

I am happy that he got it working for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
actually, it was an ac specialist place that did it. I had to work all day yesterday as I was called in.

The important thing is that you now have a working a/c system and will not have to burn up anymore.