sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

It is not actually an SLK320, it is a Chrysler Crossfire

Customer Question

It is not actually an SLK320, it is a Chrysler Crossfire 2004 with a 5 speed manual transmission. I usually start in 2nd gear because 1st is just too low. Usually it will shift into 2nd with a smooth motion. However, occasionally it goes part way into the 2nd position, but won't go the rest of the way. When I let the clutch out, nothing happens. So, I then try to put it all the way into 2nd, going over the "hump" that gets in the way. However even when the clutch is all the way depressed, the gears grind badly. So, my questions is what can be happening to the transmission or the linkage which is only occasionally stopping it midway when going into 2nd gear from a complete stop?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No slipping. Only into 2nd gear from a complete stop, but infrequently.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Great question. Probably not. I was looking for a place to have it evaluated and hopefully corrected.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It is a low mileage call, 28,000 miles. There are no other problems at this time, nor have there been any in the past.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The transmission is a 6 speed manual, not a 5 speed as I had previously indicated. My error. Basically I was looking for a reliable mechanic near Hatboro PA 19040. If I can attempt this myself, I certainly would be interested in any recommendation. I indicated this question on the Mercedes line because most of the engine and transmission components are not Chrysler but in fact are Mercedes. The Chrysler dealer that I see has a Mercedes mechanic who only shows up once in awhile, therefore I was looking for an alternative to the Chrysler dealer..
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be an internal issue in the transmission or it could be a linkage issue. There may be an issue with the cable, it's adjustment, or the hard linkage that the shift cable connects to. A linkage issue should cause a problem in more than just one gear though.

Does the problem only happen in second gear but not fourth or sixth?