sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 sebring conv. both front seat belts locked down

Customer Question

2000 sebring conv. both front seat belts locked down replaced seat belt timer module with oem part today took out seats and cleaned connectors checked for broken or chaffed wires none found.not much info out there all fuses ok i have a small shop customer is tough my wife.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also no dash lights all interior lights work when called to it has the white speedo etc both problems seem common.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The seatbelt issue may be a handful of things. There could be a wiring issue between the module and seatbelt retractors, both retractors could be bad, the module may not be waking up due to lack of input or a loss of power or ground.

Did both belts lock at exactly the same time?

Has any actual testing been done?

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
both belts locked at same time.vin 3c3el55h3yt278029. no actual testing not any info on all data .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
idid check the ground under console did not want test for power in fear of setting bags off.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Do the interior lights and door ajar light come on when the front doors are opened?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
door lights and interior lights come on.

Can you test for power on the dark blue and the brown wire, ground on the black and black/light green?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i can tomorrow. but are you talking about seat belt issue or dash lights? If talking about lights testing at what connector?

We're testing at the seatbelt timing control module.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks talk to you monday

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good Monday morning all test checked out the way they should I also had a used seat belt control module no diff.

Did you see the replacement module function in another vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no that would be to easy and i know this a common problem and that don`t mean it`s good module.

Can you check for ground on the tan and tan/red wires in pins 2 and 3 of the module with the doors open?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tan and tan\red wires are ground.

With the key on and doors open is there power on the orange/black and orange/red?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no power at orange\black or orange\red.11.7 at orange\red for a second.

The replacement module is bad then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just so I know witch one you mean I put a new seat belt timing module from chrysler the less expensive one and a used seat belt module the 600. dollar one.

You've now replaced the seatbelt timing control module with a new Mopar part?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that was the very first thing i did you will see that in our first talk.

You said you installed a used module.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
look at the first text.Read all texts .All I want to know is if you think the timing module (new) is bad I have good relationship with the dealer and I will get another just want to be sure I ran all tests you gave me three four times to be sure.Sorry if your confused.

I've read all the posts and the only source mentioned was a used part.

If testing was done correctly then the module is bad. The dealer will need the vehicle to diagnose the problem and replace the part to warranty it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The very first post I stated I replaced seat belt timing module with oem parts checked all grounds etc not much test info out there .I am in touch with dealer.

It does say 'oem parts' but I don't have a way of knowing if you mean the deceptive aftermarket brand OEM, or if the part was new or used. The only way I would know if a new Mopar part was used if it was specifically stated. In any event, that doesn't change the outcome.